Tuesday, March 31, 2009

From the Field: Jolean Rook, Dallas Volunteer

NORTH DAKOTA - My name is Jolean Rook and I am serving with the American Red Cross in Fargo, North Dakota!

Being from Dallas, and on my first national deployment in Health Services, I have been so impressed with the magnitude of Red Cross aid going on here.

It's day three of ten for me and I am LOVING it. Right now the river seems to have crested at around 43 feet and right now it has gone down to 39.1; flooding is 18 feet so you can imagine the horrible conditions. To make matters worse, today, my partner and I are waiting out a blizzard!!

Health Services is doing so much. Yesterday we opened a new shelter to house and aid "special needs" and elderly individuals. They were so gracious and impressed. Tonight I will be going to another shelter closer to the river. We are hoping the dikes hold but if anything breaches that shelter will be able to take in 1,000 more people.

Locals have been SHOCKED that I would come all the way from Dallas just to help them, and several have asked me to just sit and talk to them because the Texas accent "blows them away". LOL. A gentlemen even stopped me in Wal-Mart to shake my hand and thank me...the Red Cross jacket was his first clue I was here to help, the "foreign" accent was his second!!

Talk to y'all again soon!!
-Jolean

No comments:

Post a Comment

The American Red Cross-North Texas Region does not moderate comments prior to posting, and we gladly welcome your comments — supportive, dissenting, questioning or otherwise. In general, we do not delete or censor comments unless they:

· contain excessive profanity
· contain harsh or offensive language
· use flaming or threatening language
· are abusive
· are off-topic or an inappropriate tangent
· are blatantly spam
· promote or advertise businesses
· personally attack the blogger or other commenters

While the American Red Cross-North Texas Region seeks to inspire, educate and excite its readers, this blog is a resource for the community and inappropriate comments will not be allowed. Participants who violate this Comment Policy may be blocked from future access and/or commenting on this blog.