Summer is here and that means lots of fun time with family and friends. At Red Cross, however, we also want to make sure that you have a safe summer.
If you and your family are planning to head to any of a number of water parks in North Texas this coming holiday weekend, please follow these important safety tips.
1. Wear comfortable clothing, such as a loose shirt and shorts, comfortable shoes, and a hat or sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Be sure to apply waterproof sunscreen generously and protect your skin against sunburns and skin cancer.
2. Follow all instructions for water rides and activities, including designated height and experience levels. Children who are under 48 inches and not strong swimmers should wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
3. Actively supervise children and don’t be more than arm’s length away from them. To avoid the scenario of a child getting separated or lost, use a buddy system. Also designate a meeting place in case a family member gets separated.
4. It is a good idea to have all family members learn how to swim. You can enroll your family in age-appropriate Red Cross swim classes.
5. Keep yourself and your family hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid caffeinated drinks since they contribute to dehydration.
6. Practice cleanliness and stay healthy. Shower before participating in a water ride or activity. Wash your hands well after using the toilet. Take your children to the bathroom frequently throughout the day. If you have a baby, use waterproof diapers and change your baby’s diaper in designated changing areas.
7. Avoid alcohol consumption. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance and coordination; affects swimming and diving skills; and reduces the body’s ability to stay warm.
8. If you see someone in trouble, call a lifeguard immediately and follow their instructions.
For more water safety tips, visit RedCross.org. Have a safe summer!