Life (or afterlife) as a vampire just got easier thanks to the new American Red Cross Blood Donor App. The latest of many American Red Cross apps provides users with information to schedule blood donations, track their total donations, get rewards, and invite friends to join them on a lifesaving team.“As the nation’s single largest supplier of blood and blood products, the Red Cross is uniquely positioned to bring this cutting edge technology to blood and platelet donors,” said Shaun Gilmore, president of Red Cross Biomedical Services. “Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood, and the Blood Donor App is a new way to help meet that constant need.”
Through the Blood Donor App, users can schedule and manage their donation appointments, track the lifetime impact of their donations and recruit friends and family to roll up a sleeve with them. Other features of the app include:
- A blood drive or blood donation center locator;
- The ability to sync a blood donation appointment with the user’s calendar;
- Personalized “selfies” donors can use as they share their donation experience through social media;
- Special badges donors can unlock as they interact with the app, make donations and spread the word;
- A chance for donors to come together to form teams, track their cumulative impact and view standings on the Blood Donor Teams Leaderboard; and
- Uplifting donor and blood recipient stories that show the power of rolling up a sleeve to help save lives.
The Red Cross has become a leader in putting vital safety information in the hands of people who need it during emergencies, with its award-winning disaster and preparedness apps downloaded more than 5 million times over the past two years. The new Blood Donor App takes it one step further by helping people save lives through blood donations.
The Blood Donor App, along with the others, can be found in app stores by searching for American Red Cross, visiting redcross.org/apps or redcrossblood.org/bloodapp, or by texting BLOODAPP to 90999 for a direct link to download. Message and data rates for texting may apply.
Eligible blood donors do not need a smart phone to schedule an appointment to give blood. Appointments can always be made by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or by visiting redcrossblood.org.