Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Owee! National Childhood Injury Prevention Week

I have always loved the color purple. The infatuation stems back from my childhood. Why? I can’t answer that. But, purple has gotten me into trouble before.

I was three years old and wanted to be a professional color artist. Actually, I had a
Hello Kitty coloring book and thought it would be a good idea to color Hello Kitty purple. So, my search began. It led to the top of the highest plateau my little eyes could see – the kitchen counter. The giant purple crayon beckoned me. I pushed a chair across the kitchen and climbed atop it. Then, I snatched the giant purple crayon from a pencil box on the high counter top. With one fell swoop, I lost my balance. I went tumbling toward the kitchen floor clutching my giant purple crayon in my left hand. My right hand reached down to catch myself.

SNAP

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My poor little arm was broken.

Why do I mention traumatic purple crayon incident?

Because it is
National Childhood Injury Prevention Week. So, the Red Cross, me and my giant purple crayon have a few tips on keeping your kids safe:

· Lock poisonous items out of a child’s reach and use child resistant containers.
· Do not leave children unattended near pools, toilets, bathtubs, showers, hot tubs, animal troughs, outside pails, diaper pails.
· Keep children away from stoves, ovens, matches and anything else that can burn them. Use a smoke detector and have a fire extinguisher ready.
· Keep small objects away from kids. You don’t want them to choke on anything.
· Remove items children may trip over. Secure the doors and windows. Put rugs down on slippery surface, ie. Bathrooms
· Cover outlets and keep plugs locked. (I once thought an outlet would make a fun ignition for a car… put the key… not so).
· Keep plastic bags, garbage bags, cords and ropes out of reach.

Although, you always do your best to make sure your child doesn’t get hurt, they may occasionally get into some trouble. Take a
First Aid, CPR and Automated External Defibillator (AED) class at the American Red Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The American Red Cross-North Texas Region does not moderate comments prior to posting, and we gladly welcome your comments — supportive, dissenting, questioning or otherwise. In general, we do not delete or censor comments unless they:

· contain excessive profanity
· contain harsh or offensive language
· use flaming or threatening language
· are abusive
· are off-topic or an inappropriate tangent
· are blatantly spam
· promote or advertise businesses
· personally attack the blogger or other commenters

While the American Red Cross-North Texas Region seeks to inspire, educate and excite its readers, this blog is a resource for the community and inappropriate comments will not be allowed. Participants who violate this Comment Policy may be blocked from future access and/or commenting on this blog.