Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ma'am, do you know why I pulled you over today?


I recently had the pleasure of taking a defensive driving course... hey, don't think that... it could have been for the break in insurance!

For the sake of interesting blogging, "pretend" that I did get pulled over... the ordeal would go something like this.

Cop: Ma'am, do you know why I pulled you over today?

Me: Um... no, sir.

Cop: You were going nine miles over the speed limit.

Me: (look of shock and dismay and a simultaneous gasp) Oh, no! I thought I was going under the speed limit. Please please please don't give me a ticket.

Cop: May I see your driver's license and registration? Me: Um... (sniff sniff) I'm soooooooo sorry. (I would have bellowed)

Then, if I were really that melodramatic, I would have still gotten a ticket.

So, while I was vexed by... I mean, studiously watching the six hour long course, I decided maybe I could learn something from it. Sure enough, they had some wonderfully awesome preparedness tips!

The best part - I'm going to share some of it with you!!! I know you are all jumping up and down in your chairs as you read this.

I learned a few tips on driving in severe weather. Since we are in a frigid cold era at this time, I'll only include the winter-friendly tips. Thank you, comedy defensive driving school.

- Bridges, overpasses and rarely driven roads will freeze first, remember to slow down and avoid sudden changes in direction or speed.

- Clean and clear windows are happy windows (and learn from my mistake - don't try to use the windshield wipers to clear ice on your windows... it won't end well)

- Slow and steady is the course, but don't go so slow you get stuck in deeper snow (not that we ever have snow that deep).

- Brake cautiously. If you brake abruptly, you may cause your brakes to lock up and you could lose control of the car.

- Use your antilock brakes correctly by applying constant and firm pressure on the pedal. DO NOT pump your brakes. It won't allow your antilock breaks to do their job.

- If you get stuck in snow, straighten the wheels to your vehicle and slowly accelerate your car. DO NOT spin the tires - you will only sink deeper.

Now that you are winter driving prepared, go forth and spread the news. Maybe you too should check in to that break in you auto insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The American Red Cross-North Texas Region does not moderate comments prior to posting, and we gladly welcome your comments — supportive, dissenting, questioning or otherwise. In general, we do not delete or censor comments unless they:

· contain excessive profanity
· contain harsh or offensive language
· use flaming or threatening language
· are abusive
· are off-topic or an inappropriate tangent
· are blatantly spam
· promote or advertise businesses
· personally attack the blogger or other commenters

While the American Red Cross-North Texas Region seeks to inspire, educate and excite its readers, this blog is a resource for the community and inappropriate comments will not be allowed. Participants who violate this Comment Policy may be blocked from future access and/or commenting on this blog.